Friday, June 19, 2015

The Journey Begins

WEEK ONE: 


Monday, June 8 (Fall From Glory Day)
I was bouldering at the local climbing gym with some friends. After reaching the top of a wall, I started to down-climb. My hand slipped from one of the holds, and I fell about 8ft to the mat below. I heard a crack in my left ankle, and knew almost instantly this was more than a sprain (something I have done MANY times over the years playing sports). 

My friends helped me to a bench, where I immediately had it elevated and iced. Got home a short while later thanks to my friend Jen, with an assist by my boyfriend, Shawn, who carried me into the house. Got the leg elevated and iced - also got several glasses of wine in me while I pondered whether to go to the ER. Decided to wait until morning. Took 800mg of IBU and called it a night. 

Tuesday, June 9 (Diagnosis Day)
After a two-hour wait at urgent care, we were informed the X-ray machine was broken. Really?! C'mon! Thankfully, Shawn just so happened to have a podiatrist/orthopedic surgeon connection through his boss. A few phone calls later, and I was scheduled to see Dr. Jason Novick later that afternoon. 

YIKES!

Got some food, some crutches, more ice...and finally while sitting in his office, the news that I was going to need ORIF surgery to repair a displaced fracture of the fibula and tibia. I was very surprised by this, and needless to say, very worried and sad. I am a single mother of two who earns her living as a massage therapist. How could I be out of work for two months and survive financially? I was reeling from the shock. Dr. Novick splinted my ankle and scheduled me for surgery the next evening. I left feeling pretty low. 

Wednesday, June 10 (Graduation AND Surgery Day)
My daughter's 5th grade graduation ceremony was at 9am. I managed to actually drive myself there (lots of IBU in my system). I got through the ceremony ok, and hobbled my way over to the reception area. We had an entire mommy/daughter day planned (pedicures and a movie), and she had been looking forward to this for a long time. I couldn't bear to disappoint her. 


We made it to the pedicure place, and I sat with her while she got her toes painted (blue with tiny white flowers!). I was tired, in pain, hungry (couldn't have food past 7am that morning). We started to walk to the theatre when the Dr. called and said they could move my surgery up. I said I could be there by 3 (movie was at 12:30). The movie was starting in 5 minutes...I was feeling rushed and so uncomfortable. I was so conflicted and SO sad to let my daughter down. This was her special day. But I couldn't do it...I started crying and I told her what I was feeling. We had a good cry together, and she said "let's go home, mama. I don't want you to hurt anymore." Which, of course, made me cry more. But I pulled it together, and we ended up snuggled up at home on the couch watching a movie there until it was time to leave for the hospital. Her dad came to pick her up and we parted ways after lots of hugs and kisses.


My friend, Kelly, took me to the hospital. I got checked in around 3 for the paperwork, and they took me to a room to change and answer a million questions. Shawn arrived a little after 4. I was laying in a bed, getting the IV hooked up. Kelly was also asking questions on my behalf, and getting quite irritated that they wouldn't give me a Valium to calm my nerves! She's a great advocate. :) 

They wheeled me into the surgery unit just before 5 - this is when I really started feeling nervous and scared. The anesthesiologist and the surgeon came in to explain how the drugs work, what to expect upon waking, etc etc. I laid there for about a half hour before they took me into the OR. I was actually waiting in the recovery room, so during that half hour I got to listen to three other patients come out of their anesthesia. One guy was pure comedy - you know all those YouTube videos of people drugged up and making hysterical commentary? That was this guy. He was demanding pop tarts, asking what cocktail he was on ("they should carry this at the Red Room!"), telling the nurse she was hot and asking her on a date, and then asking where the bus stop was because he needed to catch a bus home. I was grateful for the show he was putting on because it took the edge off my anxiety! It was also precisely why I told Shawn and Kelly they were not allowed to take any video of me coming out of surgery. ;) 
Waking up


I was taken into surgery around 5:30. I think I came out around 7. I woke up pretty gently...it just felt like waking from a VERY deep sleep. The nurse was very sweet. Told me once I could keep my eyes open and answer questions clearly, then they would let Shawn come in. I sat for another 15 minutes or so, and then Shawn appeared over my bed. I was SO happy to see him!! Over the course of the next half hour, they took out the IV and helped me get dressed. The surgeon came in to show me the Xray of my new robo-leg, and said that surgery went very well. I now have a plate and six screws holding my ankle together. 

ROBO-MOM
I was wheeled to the car around 9, I think. I was quite surprised at how quickly I was "waking up." I didn't actually feel too groggy by the time I got home. Just HUNGRY. Shawn went out and got us some food. Regarding pain at this point, I had a nerve block in my lower leg in addition to the general anesthesia. I was told this would last 10-24 hours, so I really wasn't feeling any pain. My foot was fat and numb. I actually slept pretty well that night with my foot propped up on several pillows. Not the most comfortable, but I was incredibly grateful for that nerve block!

Thursday, June 11 (Another Graduation Day)
I woke up with my leg still numb (yay!). Shawn went out in the morning and rented me a wheelchair. He also made breakfast, cleaned, did laundry, shuttled kids around, and drove us to my son's 8th grade graduation. He is a total rock star. If I wasn't already sure that I am madly in love with him, this would have sealed it. 


Getting ready for the graduation proved quite tiring, but it was good to get cleaned up and feeling semi-human. The graduation was at 4:30, and it was a really nice ceremony. I am very proud of my not-so-little man, who will be off to high school in the Fall. We had shaded side-lined seating (disability perks!), and since the nerve block was still in effect, I was feeling pretty good. 


We had a mellow dinner at home, and by about 10pm that night, I started to get a little wiggle in my toes. The doc had told me this was the first sign of the block wearing off, and to start my pain meds right away to stay ahead of the ensuing pain. I popped two Norcos and slept pretty well. 

Friday, June 12
Yikes - the nerve block is officially done. I woke up with a fair amount of pain, took two more Norcos. The most uncomfortable part of the injury at this point is the swelling in my foot. My foot feels like it's made of iron. The pressure of the swelling is really not fun. I keep it elevated and iced for the better part of the day. 

Shawn went back to work, and my daughter was at a birthday party all day. So my son got to be my caregiver. I would text him whenever I needed something (as he was upstairs in his teenage boy lair)...food, water, ice pack change, let the dog out, more food. He was a pretty good sport. 

I watched a movie (Boyhood - excellent!), answered emails, napped, read my book. And truly realized this was going to be a LONG haul. Two more Norcos before bed. I probably could have gotten away with just IBU, but I really didn't want to wake up in pain in the middle of the night. 

Saturday, June 13 (Dressing Change Day)
Kelly took me in to see the doc for a dressing change. Got to see his handiwork - looked pretty good! He said the amount of swelling I had was normal. Stitches looked good. He cleaned it up and put a fresh dressing on it. Back on went the splint and ace bandages. Told me to come back in two weeks to (hopefully)
FRANKEN-MOM
have the plaster cast put on. He told me I could probably work with the cast on - it would really depend on if I felt comfortable doing it and how bad the swelling gets if I do. Right now I can't really imagine working in the cast. If I had a desk job, yes. But giving massages?? I'm not seeing it. Perhaps my financial situation will dictate that decision. :/ 


Spent the rest of the day doing the usual - alternating positions on the couch, in a chair, on the deck. My friend, Michelle, stopped by with a lasagna. YUM! Another friend, April, stopped by with flowers and chocolate. YUM! Love the food gifts. :) 

Keeping foot iced and elevated. The swelling always starts to feel worse around 8pm. Took two Norcos at bed again. Slept ok. I never sleep on my back so it kind of sucks getting used to that, but I'm sleeping better than I thought I would. 

Sunday, June 14
The kids were picked up by their dad in the afternoon. A friend of ours, Paul, came by to visit for awhile. It was a beautiful sunny day - nice to sit on the deck with some company. 

Spent the rest of the day doing my usual - rotating from the couch, to the other side of the couch, to the chair, to the deck, back to the couch. Exciting stuff.

Decided to launch an Indiegogo fundraising campaign to help cover the costs of income loss and medical expenses. I debated on this, but the truth is, I need the help. I have no shame in asking for help when I need it, and I only ask when I REALLY need it. This is one of those times, and I'm incredibly grateful to those who have offered their support in any way. It all counts so thank you!! 

Well friends, this concludes Week One of the journey...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer! This is Peg Guerrieri writing. Whoa girl... I know your pain and challenge. I had a similar break about 10 years ago. I learned a lot about myself and others during that experience of being and feeling disabled. I am such a 'doer' kind of person so, sitting around while the healing was going on was a brand new kind of experience for me. (That's where the BIG learning came in for me.) I'm glad you're writing about this. I imagine it's helpful to your soul and psyche somehow. Your boyfriend sounds like a great guy and your kiddos will learn to help you in ways they never knew before; all good stuff. Stay positive, be patient. The break will heal and you will be back into your life, fully.
    I'll look forward to your future blog entries. Best, Peg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Peg. I do try to always see the silver lining, and am taking this as an opportunity for growth and evolution. I am also a 'doer' - I almost never take time to just sit and read, or enjoy a day at the beach, etc. It is surreal to have my life come to a halt in that way. It is creating a new opportunity to do something different, experience life through a new lens.
    It is very helpful to write about it. Thanks for taking the time to read about it! I appreciate your kind words.

    ReplyDelete