Friday, June 19, 2015

Are We There Yet?

Monday, June 15 (First Day Alone)
Shawn returns to his regular work week today. He left the house stocked and clean for me, and most importantly, left coffee. I slept until 9 or so, crutched my way to the kitchen, and managed to actually make myself some eggs and toast - without falling over! Victory.

Proceeded to gather my pillows, an ice-pack, laptop, phone, water, and meds. My recovery station. I checked email, contacted clients who hadn't heard the news yet, and contemplated tackling some work projects. My contemplation ended at that - I just wasn't up for getting right into work mode just yet. Lord knows there will be plenty of time for such nonsense. 

So I watched two movies and napped instead. My friend Jen stopped by for a little bit and brought a snack. Having company is really nice. Especially when they bring food. :)

Shawn had to fix his brakes after work, so he didn't get home until after 8. It was a LONG day alone. I have new sympathy for our dog, Iggy, who spends many hours home alone. If I could have, I too would have been whining and jumping all over Shawn the second he walked in the door. YOU'RE HOME!!! PET ME!! TALK TO ME!! PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!! Haha. Another upside to this experience is that I will vow to get our pooch more exercise before I leave the house and when I return. And more toys. And leave some music playing for him. Poor guy. I get it now, buddy.

Tuesday, June 16
Work never ends
Kelly came over today for about 4 hours. We are working with a new project management system, so it was good to sit together to figure out how it works. And having company made the day SO MUCH BETTER. (That's a hint to my local friends...you're welcome to come on by most anytime!)

She made us lunch and brought provisions. I actually felt semi-normal. Although my arse is really starting to hurt from so much sitting. As soon as I get that cast on, I'm going to start some upper-body exercises. I feel like I'm turning to mush. 

Wednesday, June 17
Today was a rough day. Despite having my ankle elevated ALL the time, the swelling persists and is SO uncomfortable. My emotional state is fragile...nights are the worst. I start to feel so weary and stir-crazy. The road ahead seems very long. I know it will probably go by fairly fast once I'm more settled into a routine, but aaaaaahhhhhgggghh. That's how I feel about it right now. 

My toes were stark white/slightly purple by the time I went to bed. I woke with my big toe ON FIRE and aching. I took a Norco and two IBUs, and they barely took the edge off. I read for about 30-minutes at 2am, and that helped take my mind off the pain. I was awake most of the night. What the hell is this misery?? No one ever mentioned burning toes!! I'll Google that when I'm more coherent...

Thursday, June 18 (DMV Day - Hooray for an Outing!)
You know things are bad when you're even the slightest bit excited about going to the DMV. :/ I needed to get my new car registered and thankfully I had an appointment. My friend Paul so good-naturedly agreed to take me. 

The pain from last night had subsided quite a bit. I took another pain med in the morning. I might have been happy to get out, but I most certainly did not want to end up at the DMV in abject misery (like everyone else there, injured or not).

It went just fine - I was done in about 20 minutes! Check that off the list. 


View From the Couch
Spent the rest of the day watching a lot of The Good Wife. I just started this series at the suggestion of my mom. I really wanted to catch up on True Blood, but Shawn wants to see it too so I agreed to wait and watch it with him. As a sign of my true love for him, I also agreed to not binge-watch Orange is the New Black. Now THAT is love. And an extreme show of will power. If you have any other movie or series recommendations, hit me up. I have thus far watched Still Alice, Boyhood, and The Prize Winner of Defiance, OH. My kid can get me anything I want (ssshhhh....) so let me know what your favorites are. 

And I'll take any book recommendations you have too. I'm not really loving my current book, so send me your favorites!

Friday, June 19 (Dressing Change + More Drugs Day)
I'm almost out of Norco, and after that heinous night I had, I am not going to run out. Doc said I needed to come in for a prescription. He did another dressing change while I was there, and it looks good (don't worry, I won't post another icky sutures picture). 

I asked about the toe burning. He said the nerve may have been bruised due to the nerve block I had during surgery. The nerve that powers the toe isn't anywhere near the surgical site, so it's not likely to be any real damage. He tested my muscle functioning, which was all fine. It will likely subside after a little while. Let's hope after, um, right now. 

I started this blog today. Mostly as a way to kill time, and have a diary of the experience. Not so much because I think it's a riveting story. I suppose it's a nice way to keep anyone who is interested updated. I've never blogged before so I can say this experience has led to me trying something new, and that's always a good thing. 

I'll post daily updates from here on out, now that I've gotten you up to date. 

I'm off to the other side of the couch now. The cushion on this side is getting a little smushed. Send me your book, TV, and movie recommendations please! 




No comments:

Post a Comment