Sunday, June 28, 2015

Getting on My Nerves

My nerves are getting on my nerves. I've been feeling incredibly frustrated and concerned about the nerve irritation in my foot. I still don't really feel any pain around the surgical site. It's all in my toes and on the inside top of my foot. It is such an odd array of sensation: like I'm wearing a really tight glove (squeezing/tightness) made of paper (dry feeling) over a sunburned foot (burning) that is turning to wood from the inside out (deep stiffness) after having been bashed into a door repeatedly (aching/very sore and tender). And that's what it feels like from the inside, but then it's also somewhat numb. Like I'm feeling all those sensations right after Novocaine is wearing off. Oh yeah, and sometimes in the midst of all that, I get sharp, painful electric shock-like sensations shooting through my toe and/or foot. 

I'm trying very hard to sit with the notion that all this is due to the nerves simply being traumatized from being exposed, stretched, and possibly bruised. I can live with that, knowing that eventually they will heal. But I'm feeling scared that it is more serious, as in permanent damage. I've been reading WAY too many stories online. There are so many people who talk about having these nerve problems for many years after their surgery. In fact, it's hard to find any people whose story of ORIF ankle surgery has a happy ending. 

I have an appointment tomorrow with my chiropractor, whose skills and expertise I trust implicitly. I'm hoping she can help shed some light on my symptoms.

In the meantime, I think I need more meditation/visualization and less lurking in online forums. My mood has darkened in the last few days, so I need to make an effort to stay positive. 


No comments:

Post a Comment